Deadline for Applications: Sunday, April 11, 2021
The Saskatchewan Orchestral Association (SOA) Bursary Program assists SOA members to participate in summer musical development activities.
- Any musician who is an SOA member is eligible to apply for a bursary.
- Awards are normally given to applicants between the ages of 12 and 26. Applications for individuals outside this range will be evaluated on a case to case basis,
If you are a member of one of the following groups, you are automatically an individual SOA member:
- Friendly Folk
- Poltava Ensemble
- Prince Albert Strings Orchestra
- Regina Community Orchestra
- Regina Mandolin Orchestra
- Saskatoon Philharmonic Orchestra
- Saskatoon Suzuki String Program Inc
- Saskatoon Youth Orchestra & Saskatoon Strings
- South Saskatchewan Youth Orchestra
- Tisdale & District Strings
Recipients of SOA Music Festival Scholarships also receive complimentary one-year SOA memberships. Any other person may join the SOA for an annual fee of $25.
Overall Priority: applications are welcome from all orchestral instrument players, but it is an overall priority of the Bursary Program to support string players
Priority 1: National Honour programs requiring an audition [e.g. National Youth Orchestra]
Priority 2: Support for eligible applicants incurring travel costs to participate in out-of-province programs that require an audition
Priority 3: Support for eligible applicants incurring travel costs to attend SOA-funded summer camps which are at a distance in excess of 100 km from the applicant’s home community. SOA funded summer camps are:
- Prairie Cello Institute
- Regina Summer Strings
- Saskatoon Suzuki Summer String Experience
Priority 4: Support for eligible applicants incurring travel costs to participate in non SOA-funded programs.
Steps to Apply:
- Arrange to have your teacher or ensemble director endorse the application by co-signing it where indicated.
- Return completed application form to the SOA office by postal mail or e-mail prior to the
Other Program Information:
- There is no limit on the application amount. Due to budget restrictions, not all applications may be funded nor funded in the full amount of the request, at the discretion of the jury. The final amount allotted to each successful applicant will depend upon the number of applicants and the Bursary Program funding
- Eligible costs include application fee, tuition, housing and economy
- Costs for meals are ineligible (unless they are part of the housing fee).
- The maximum amount of any bursary is 90% of the costs of
- Payment of the bursary will be in two installments. The first payment will be 50% of the Bursary amount. The payment of the remaining 50% will be released upon receipt and acceptance of the SOA Bursary Summary Report [due September 30, 2021].
- Bursary recipients must complete and the Summary Report Form by September 30.
- As part of the Follow-Up, Bursary recipients are asked to include a short video (up to 60 seconds). The video should include a verbal comment about how the SOA’s support helped you work towards your goals plus a few seconds of you playing. You can also include images of the workshop you attended. Videos can be made using basic technology (i.e. cell phone, iPhone, Zoom, etc.). These videos are used by the SOA for accountability to its funders, with the option to share on social media.